Planning a Campervan Adventure Like a Pro
Are you ready for a campervan adventure? A campervan trip is the perfect way to explore and experience the outdoors, without sacrificing all of the creature comforts of home. Before you hit the road, though, you need to properly plan your trip—and that’s where this guide comes in! Read on for all of the tips and tricks you need to make sure your campervan vacation is as hassle-free and comfortable as possible.
Pick Your Destination(s)
The first step in planning a great campervan adventure is deciding where you want to go. Think about what kind of activities you want to do on your trip—do you want to go hiking? Sightseeing? Exploring cities? Once you have a general idea of what kind of journey you’re looking for, it will be easier to narrow down potential destinations. A few of our favourites to explore are:
- The Lake District: If you’ve ever heard of Wordsworth, chances are good that you’ve heard of the Lake District. This area is renowned for its stunning lakes and mountains. Whether you want to take a hike up Helvellyn or spend a day lounging on lake shores with a book in hand - it doesn’t matter! The possibilities are endless and no two trips will be alike when exploring this beautiful area.
- Cornwall: With beautiful beaches that stretch for miles on end, Cornwall is one of the most iconic destinations in all of Britain when it comes to outdoor exploration. You can wander through ancient ruins, explore quaint fishing villages, or simply spend days lounging at the beach soaking up some sunshine. And don’t forget to try out some traditional Cornish pasties while you’re there too!
- Scotland: Scotland is a must-see destination for any campervan lover. From vast pastoral landscapes to wild coastal cliff edges and deep lochs - there really is something here for everyone! Spend days exploring Edinburgh Castle or driving through the countryside taking in views from Loch Ness - it doesn’t get any better than this! Make sure to pack your camera- Scotland will provide plenty of photo opportunities (and memories!).
- Wales: From mountain ranges to rolling hills and ancient castles - Wales has it all! Take time to explore Snowdonia National Park or go off-roading in Ceredigion forest- it's perfect for those looking for an adventure. Or why not just spend some time relaxing with a pint at one of Wales' many pubs? You won't regret it!
Research Campgrounds & Other Accommodations
Once you’ve picked out your destination(s), it’s time to figure out exactly where you want to stay. Research campgrounds and other accommodations along your route so that when it comes time to book, there won’t be any surprises or disappointments. It also doesn’t hurt to read reviews from other campers who have stayed at these locations before! We personally like the Motorhome Parks search on Campsites.co.uk which provides a pretty comprehensive list of places you can stay that have some basic amenities.
Pack Appropriately For Your Trip
Make sure that whatever items you bring are necessary for your trip—there’s no sense in cluttering up your campervan with items that won’t get much use! Additionally, think about the climate in which you’ll be travelling; if it tends towards cold or wet weather, make sure that your clothing and outerwear are appropriate for those conditions. And don’t forget about entertainment items like books or games; they can provide hours of fun while on long drives between destinations! A few key things to consider here:
- Necessities: First things first, make sure that you're bringing all of the essentials with you on your trip. That includes cooking supplies (pots, pans, plates, utensils), camping gear (tent, sleeping bag, etc.), toiletries (toothbrush/paste, soap/shampoo), and first-aid items (bandages, painkillers). If possible, store these items in airtight containers or resealable plastic bags so they don't take up too much space in your campervan.
- Comfort Items: Since space is at a premium in a campervan, it's important to prioritize comfort items that won't take up too much room but will still add some fun and relaxation to your journey. Consider packing entertainment items such as books or board games; comfort items such as extra blankets or pillows; and convenience items such as USB chargers or flashlights. These smaller comforts can really make a difference when it comes to enjoying every moment of your trip!
- Clothing & Accessories: You'll also want to make sure that you have enough clothing and accessories packed for the length of your stay. This includes basics like underwear and socks; weather-appropriate clothing such as jackets or hats; shoes for hiking or walking around town; and sunglasses for sunny days spent exploring new places. Don't forget about swimwear if you plan on taking dips in lakes or rivers during your travels!
Do A Practice Run
If this isn’t your first rodeo with camping trips, chances are that you already know all there is to know about packing, driving and navigating around town in a campervan... but if not, it may be worth doing some practice runs before embarking on your big trip! Spend a night or two close by and get used to navigating around town with a larger vehicle before heading out on longer journeys. This will help minimise any anxiety or stress when it comes time for the real deal!
With these four steps as a guide, planning an epic campervan adventure just got less intimidating—and more exciting! Whether this is your first time taking the plunge into van life or just another stop along the way of many journeys yet still ahead, we hope that this guide has provided some helpful information so that no matter what happens during your travels, nothing can stand between yourself and amazing memories made along the way! Bon voyage!