TentBox: Make any Car a Camper
What is a Roof Box Tent
For some, putting a tent on top of your car might still sound like something out of a YouTub prank video. But roof box tents are becoming an increasingly popular camping solution and sit nicely in that middle ground between traditional camping and campervan touring.
A roof box tent is a type of camping tent that is designed to be mounted on the roof rack of a standard vehicle. It provides a convenient and elevated sleeping space and as a result of being mounted to the vehicle, you can simply pull up in your camping spot, pop the tent open and you’re ready to start enjoying your surroundings.
A roof box tent typically consists of a sturdy and weather-resistant tent fabric that is attached to a rigid base. The base is mounted to the roof rack of a car, a process that typically takes about 30 minutes. When not in use, the tent can be folded down and secured to the roof, just like a standard roof box. It's important to note that roof box tents require a suitable roof rack and mounting system on your vehicle for proper installation. The weight capacity and compatibility of the roof rack should be checked to ensure it can safely support the added weight of the tent before purchasing.
Is a Roof Box Tent Right for Me
So now that we’ve covered the fundamentals, let's look at some of the advantages of roof box tents compared to traditional camping:
- Elevated Sleeping Surface: One of the primary advantages of a roof box tent is that it provides an elevated sleeping surface. By being elevated off the ground, you are protected from rocks, uneven terrain, moisture, and ground-dwelling insects. This can significantly improve comfort and safety during your camping experience.
- Easy Setup and Packing: Roof box tents often feature a quick and hassle-free setup process. Many models use a pop-up or telescoping mechanism that allows for swift deployment. This can save you time and effort compared to setting up a ground tent, which typically involves stakes, poles, and potentially more complex assembly. All of which is made even more challenging if trying to complete it at the end of a long day or in wet weather.
- Enhanced Protection from the Elements: Roof box tents offer better protection from the elements, including rain, wind, and cold weather. They are designed with durable and weather-resistant materials to withstand various outdoor conditions. Additionally, the elevated position can help keep you dry and reduce the risk of water pooling around the tent.
- Improved Security: When you're camping in a roof box tent, you have an added level of security. Being attached to your car, allows you to use your cars storage for items whilst you are away from your tent, and make use of built in car security features such as remote locking and alarms.
- Portability and Versatility: Roof box tents are typically compact and lightweight, making them easy to transport. They can be installed and removed from the roof rack of your vehicle, allowing you to use your vehicle for other purposes during the day. Additionally, some models have features and accessories like built-in storage compartments, awnings or racks to further enhance their versatility.
The final obvious competitor to a roof box tent, is the campervan. Whilst a professionally converted campervan has a lot of benefits over a roof box tent, such as built in kitchens, cooking facilities, hot water and electrical hookup, it also comes at a significant cost. A campervan will cost anywhere between £10,000 and £80,000 depending on campervan type and specification, which is a sizable investment. A roof box tent however can be purchased from somewhere between £1,000 and £3,000, which although is still a considerable sum compared to a traditional tent, is significantly cheaper than a full blown campervan and still offers some of the same benefits.
Here at Redknot, we are on a mission to enable as many people as possible to enjoy the great outdoors. As a result we have teamed up with TentBox, an innovative British company that is pushing the boundaries of the roof box tent. TentBox have a range of roof box tents for every type of camper, from the outdoors adventurers, the family campers or the romantic star gazers. Let’s have a look at the range:
- TentBox Lite 2.0: The TenBox Lite 2.0 is the latest release in the TentBox Lite series. The new and improved Lite 2.0 is a great all-rounder that fits on even the smallest cars. With upgraded materials and tonnes of feature upgrades such as a comfier mattress, two skylights, and a removable rainfly, the Lite 2.0 sets a new standard for roof tents and it pops open in under 5 minutes for easy adventure! If you’re new to Roof Box tent camping and looking for somewhere to start, this is probably the one for you. Great for the casual camper.
- TentBox Lite XL: The super-sized TentBox Lite XL is great for families, people with pets, or those who like extra space. It has a super-king mattress that sleeps 4 adults comfortably and has a whole host of new features and material upgrades. This roof tent takes 5 minutes to set up and creates an awesome basecamp for any adventure. If you like to go camping with the whole clan or refuse to travel light, then this is where you should be looking.
- TentBox Cargo: Built to be rugged, the TentBox Cargo can handle anything from weekend trips to hardcore adventures. It has the fastest setup in the range at just 30 seconds, and you can leave your duvet and pillows inside. Combined with the Cargo Roof Bars to mount additional gear on top, such as bikes, surfboards & kayaks, this is the ultimate adventure tent for those that like to get stuck in.
- TentBox Classic: Built for comfort and great for all-around adventure, the TentBox Classic is the original and much-loved TentBox design. You can leave your duvet in pillows inside for extra convenience and the whole thing can be setup within 60-seconds. The boxy shape feels more like a bedroom than a rooftop tent, making it perfect for those that like to camp but without sacrificing too much comfort.
All of these TentBox tents, can be loaded up with additional accessories such as mattresses, awnings and additional storage to make it unique to you. As an official TentBox dealer, we are able to source products from across the range and advise on the best setup for your needs. We also have demo units to see and test at our Lancashire showroom. So if you like the sound of having your next camping adventure in a TentBox then just give us a call (01995 488 477).